Thursday 18 April 2013

Friday the Thirteenth



(c) Friday the Thirteenth

It’s Friday the thirteenth but I am not superstitious.
          It’s just a myth but perhaps I’ll buy a lottery ticket for luck;
                   I just saw a black cat cross my path, but it’s not suspicious,
                             Perhaps it’s going to rain: I just upset a duck
                                     
I’ll just throw some salt over my shoulder.
Maybe then the devil won’t mind the spill.
          When you get goose bumps, it’s a sign you getting colder, 
                             No-one steps over your grave, until…

You die. Of course you should avoid breaking a mirror.
          Seven years is an awful long time before you can comb your hair.
                   I just sneezed three times and I’m all aquiver, 
It brings good luck, but I think I’ve got the ‘flu – so there!        

Perhaps you want to argue about spilling pepper?
          My four-leafed clover was eaten by a rabbit: here’s its foot.
                    Yes, my second toe is longer than the first but no bad temper,
                             Damn you! I’ll open my umbrella inside whenever it suits!

Garlic protects you from vampires and evil spirits.
          But best of all is the flavour it gives to my Irish stew.
              If you sniff dandelions, you’ll wet the bed in torrents,
                        An itchy palm means that money will come to you.

Eating fish makes you clever and toads cause warts, they say.
     An acorn at the window keeps lightning out of the domicile.
              A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away,
                        Now there’s a joke! No love lost, just try a little smile.      
  
It’s Friday the thirteenth but I am not superstitious.
          It’s just a myth but perhaps I won’t go out and tempt fate;
                   I’ll just pour some more coffee – it’s so delicious…
                             Oh no, is that a crow I see perched upon the gate?

No comments:

Post a Comment